Saturday, February 21, 2009

Damsels in Distress

Here is a set of drawings that feature women in various states of emotion. Again, these are heroines from novels I read, with me imagining myself in their roles.


The name I gave this lady is Seren, and I call it "Seren in Distress." I just loved those long, flowing gowns rustling in the wind!

I never gave this young girl a name, but I almost imagine she is entering a convent or some other place safe from the world since she seems so timid. I call it "Innocence on the Path."

There is something Cinderella-ish about this sketch, so I call it "Fleeing the Ball." More lovely, flowing skirts!

I just call this one "Cleavage"! What was I thinking? Oh well, I was very young then. I don't know what possessed me to do a pleated skirt--not nearly as pretty as the flowing ones.

And finally, I call this one "Reluctant Puritan." She seems downright upset. I'm not sure, but I may have been inspired by the much-read and much-loved novel "The Witch of Blackbird Pond" by Elizabeth George Speare.

Notice the purple lines bleeding through the paper? I drew this one on the back of a flyer from church. Those of us over forty probably remember the pretty purple of papers put through the ditto machine. (How's that for alliteration?) We just loved to sniff the delicate aroma of freshly printed dittos back in the day! (Maybe the cleavage moment came from too much ditto-sniffing?)

No comments:

Post a Comment