Monday, December 22, 2008

Heroines, Interrupted

Here are the last of my unfinished heroine sketches, all of these in pencil. You'll notice some are even sketched on lined paper. When you're itching to draw, you'll grab whatever is handy!

This depicts love between a lord and lady in auld Scotland. I love the romantic ideal of medieval life, even though realistically I know I could never abide living in a world of chamber pots and drafty castles. No doubt I would be the chamber maid emptying the pots rather than the pampered princess!

This is another medieval romance. Someday I would really like to complete this drawing and the one above. There's something tender about the way the lovers hold each other. The previous drawing is unusual in that I completed the man's face but not the woman's. This sketch is more typical; since I struggle with men's faces, I generally left them for last.

This drawing is mystical, an enchanter and enchantress. It looks like all that needed finishing was the man's cape. I do not recall who I modeled these men's faces after, but they must have been ruggedly handsome men!

I suspect the reason I didn't complete this sketch was frustration. I have a vague recollection that I could not get her legs and feet to come out right. I feel no urge at all to finish this drawing!

2 comments:

  1. wow. i really didn't know you drew. glad to see it though. these are very good. boots and capes are all the rage again so you're good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ALL OF YOUR DRAWINGS ARE AMAZING! I CAN'T DRAW MYSELF OUT OF A PAPER BAG, SO NEEDLESS TO SAY I'M INCREDIBLY IMPRESSED!!!! WHERE DID THE DRAWING GENE COME FROM? LEROY AND DARRYL ARE PRETTY GOOD, TOO!

    ReplyDelete